There will also be areas of large hail. Wind driven-hail can be quite destructive.
How to prepare:
- Fully charge your phone and laptop now, before the storms threaten. Unplug your equipment before you hear thunder so a lightning-induced power surge does not damage them.
- You can use your smartphone as a "weather alarm." Download the AccuWeather App (turn on location services). It, plus the WEA tone alerts, should awaken you in case of a tornado warning.
- This is the type of situation where power failures are likely. Plan accordingly.
- Get some extra cash from the ATM.
- Fill your automobile with fuel.
- Make sure your shelter area is clear. Wear shoes into shelter. Stock it with a couple of bottles of water. Diapers, if necessary.
- Make sure you have flashlights ready.
- Plan in advance for the elderly or infirm.
These maps tend to under-forecast the extent of the storms. The timings are approximate.
Above is a forecast for 10pm.
Below is a forecast for 2am. Again, the area of storms will likely be larger than depicted.
So, please plan for this area of storms.
I'll update the forecast on the blog this afternoon. Also, please follow me on Twitter @usweatherexpert.