-- Sir George Jessel
[bumped due to subsequent news stories]
There is a New York Times story today that proclaims more Americans are worried about global warming.
The New Testament (Mark 13:32) quotes Jesus as saying He does not know when the world will end. Only his Father knows. Now, suppose some Christian group (call them Religion A) proclaimed they had figured out the world will end tomorrow. Tomorrow comes and goes. Then, Religion A says they were wrong in their calculations and it will end Monday. Monday comes and goes. Finally, Religion A says, oops, give us one more chance. The world will end a week from Thursday. And, of course, Thursday comes and goes and things are fine. After that record of failed predictions, no reasonable person would believe their end-of-the-world forecasts.
As explained by an online textbook,
"One of the key elements in science is the ability to make and test quantitative predictions."
What brought all of this to mind is that yesterday, Representative Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez told us the world will end in 12 years unless we declare war on global warming.
These are from Instapundit:
—The London Guardian, January 17, 2009.
—NBC News, September 14, 2006.
A senior U.N. environmental official says entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000.
—AP, June 29, 1989.
Here is a list from a posting on this blog in 2013:
- "Global Warming Tipping Point Close?"--headline, ClimateArk.com, Jan. 27, 2004
- "Warming Hits 'Tipping Point' "--headline, Guardian, Aug. 11, 2005
- "Earth at the Tipping Point: Global Warming Heats Up"--headline, Time, March 26, 2006
- "Global Warming 'Tipping Points' Reached, Scientist Says"--headline,NationalGeographic.com, Dec. 14, 2007
- "Twenty Years Later: Tipping Points Near on Global Warming"--headline, Puffington Host, June 23, 2008
- "Global Warming: Those Tipping Points Are Closer Than You Think"--headline, WSJ.com, April 29, 2009
- "Have We Reached the Tipping Point for Planet Earth?"--video title, StudioTalk.tv, May 11, 2010
- "Must-Read Hansen and Sato Paper: We Are at a Climate Tipping Point That, Once Crossed, Enables Multi-Meter Sea Level Rise This Century"--headline, ThinkProgress.org, Jan. 20, 2011
- "Earth: Have We Reached an Environmental Tipping Point?"--headline, BBC website, June 15, 2012
- "In spite of the continued released [sic] of 90 million tons of global warming pollution every day into the atmosphere, as if it's an open sewer, we are now seeing the approach of a global political tipping point."--Al Gore, interview with Washington Post, Aug. 21, 2013
If a Christian group had issued 13 (the number of "tipping points" and predictions above) wildly incorrect forecasts as to the second coming of Jesus they would be, rightly, mocked. Where is that accountability for climate 'science'? In fact, its inability to make reliable forecasts, by definition, calls into question whether predictive climate science is a science at all.
As for Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's 12-year global warming forecast? Don't sweat it!!