The forecast rainfalls, even if they were going to fall on dry soil, are enough to cause major flooding. Given the already swollen rivers and wet soil, much of it will run off creating the potential for record -- catastrophic -- flooding.
The heavy rains will begin tomorrow. Take today to prepare.
What to do?
- Prepare a "go kit." Put needed and easily transportable items in your car or near your car where you can grab it and move quickly.
- If you have to evacuate, turn off the main power and water. Locate them now if you are not sure where they are located.
- Keep your automobile fully fueled.
- Get extra cash.
- Make sure your prescriptions are refilled.
- Know your destination and make sure your path is not flooded.
- Keep your smartphone charged.
I urge you to take this seriously. Areas will flood that have never flooded before. Please make sure vulnerable friends and relatives know of the risk. Prepare accordingly.