If you live in the 5%, or higher, area, I would recommend the following:
- Have at least two sources to receive any warnings. Make sure batteries are fresh or newly charged.
- Make sure any infirm relatives or friends are aware of the threat and can take shelter.
- If the sky begins to darken or you hear thunder, start monitoring the weather closely.
- Wear shoes into shelter. If your home is hit, you do not want to walk through debris barefoot or in flip-flops.
- If you are in Wichita, all public schools have safe-room tornado shelters. Do not make a dash to the school while the sirens are sounding. Your children will be fine. Take care of yourself at that point.
- Have any keepsakes or other valuables near the shelter entrance so you can grab them quickly if a warning is issued.
There is also a risk of very large hail.
The significant threshold for 1" hail is the yellow. In the hatched red area, there is a relatively high chance of hail 2" or larger (hatched). Bring your car inside.
I will update this forecast early this afternoon.