In addition, there is a major threat of large, damaging hail.
So, how do you prepare, given this information?
- Keep your children and other dependents close by so they can get to shelter (preferably underground or in a safe room) quickly if a warning is issued.
- Make sure your friends and family in this region are aware of the threat.
- If you do not have a basement or safe room but a neighbor does, perhaps it is a good time to bring them a pizza or cake and see if they would allow you to share the shelter if a warning is issued.
- Make sure you have at least two ways of getting a warning (TV, smartphone app, radio, etc.).
- Put your car in the garage.
- Bring in lawn furniture, trampolines or anything else that can be blown about or damaged by hail.
- Fill your car or generator with gas in case of power failures.
Remember: The purpose of this information is not to cause worry but to allow you the time to prepare.
I'll have updates this afternoon, please check back.