The area outlined is at especial risk of tornadoes and severe thunderstorms from now through about 8pm.
We now have two tornado warnings in effect (red polygons). Those storms are moving ENE.
So, how do you prepare, given this information?
- Keep your children and other dependents close by so they can get to shelter (preferably underground or in a safe room) quickly if a warning is issued.
- Make sure your friends and family in this region are aware of the threat.
- If you do not have a basement or safe room but a neighbor does, perhaps it is a good time to bring them a pizza or cake and see if they would allow you to share the shelter if a warning is issued.
- Make sure you have at least two ways of getting a warning (TV, smartphone app, radio, etc.).
- Put your car in the garage.
- Bring in lawn furniture, trampolines or anything else that can be blown about or damaged by hail.
- Fill your car or generator with gas in case of power failures.
It is time to be monitoring the weather in this region and be prepared to take cover.